Sauerkraut with Sausage

Ingredients
1/2 pound Italian sausage
1/2 jar (or 16 oz.) sauerkraut
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon basil

Directions
1. Brown sausage in a large pot.
2. Mix in sauerkraut, tomatoes, and basil.
3. Allow to simmer 1/2 hour.

Notes
This recipe always reminds me of New Years Eve at the Berg house. My mom made sauerkraut every year and told us that the more we ate, the luckier we would be that year. Patrick and I thought it tasted terrible but we still tried to outdo each other when piling the stuff on our plates. I never thought I would continue the tradition as an adult until Scott introduced me to this delicious recipe. Now I eat sauerkraut because it's good, not just as a once-a-year dare.

Source
Scott always makes this recipe and I'm assuming it's something that his mom used to make.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's way better with bratwurst, or even Polish sausage instead of the Italian sausage.
-Scott

Popular Posts